1. What is the personal information that we collect?
Personal information is your name in combination with other information that we collect about you. For example, personal information can include your name in combination with your e-mail address, billing address, shipping address, phone number, or credit card information.
2. Why do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information in an effort to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our business. It allows us to provide you with easy access to our products and services, with a particular focus on the items and programs that may be of most interest to you. For more information as to why we collect personal information, please see the section below entitled: "How do we use your personal information?"
Your personal information also allows us to communicate with you about special offers, promotions, and other marketing programs and news that may be of interest to you.
3. How do we collect your personal information?
(a). Information that you provide to us
As a general matter, you can browse in our stores and on our websites without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or placing an order
- Creating an online account
- Enrolling in our Educator program
- Submitting a customer review, a list, or other user-created content
- Posting a blog, or participating in an online interactive community
- Contacting customer service
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Making a purchase or placing an order
When you make a purchase or place an order in our stores or place an order online without an account, you may need to submit personal information to us.
Creating an online account
You can create a password-protected Enjoy Reading Publishing.com account to complete your online order, to register your electronic reading device(s), to purchase or download eBooks, digital magazines, digital newspapers, digital journals and other periodicals, blogs, other digital content ("Digital Content") or Enjoy Reading Publishing's eReader Software, to save items to an online Wish List, or to join a Enjoy Reading Publishing.com, online interactive community. To create any of these accounts, we will ask you to provide us with personal information. If you use your online account to make a purchase or download, we will use the personal information stored in your account and/or require you to input additional personal information, such as credit card information, to complete your order or download.
Submitting a customer review, a list, or other user-created content
You may choose to submit an online customer review. Because any information you choose to post with your customer review or will be available on the Internet, we can make no assurances that others will not use, or misuse, that information.
Posting a blog, or participating in an online interactive community
You may choose to submit or post information as part of a blog or online interactive community. Because any information you choose to post will be available on the internet, we can make no assurance that others will not use, or misuse that information.
Contacting Customer Service
When you contact customer service, we may ask you to provide, or confirm, personal information so that we can better serve you.
(b) Information automatically collected
There are circumstances in which we automatically receive and collect information from you. The most common sources of this information include:
- Pixel tags or clear Graphics Interchange Format files, known as GIFs
- Occasionally from business partners, contractors, shared databases, and other third parties
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Information automatically collected when you visit our websites
When you visit our websites, we automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. For example, we may receive and collect: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the date and time you access our websites; and the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our sites. We use this information to monitor the usage of our websites and as necessary for our business. This information does not include personal information.
Information collected using cookies
Browsers are typically set to create cookies automatically. You can choose to have your browser notify you when cookies are being written to your computer or accessed, or you can disable cookies entirely. If you disable cookies, however, you will not be able to place items in a Enjoy Reading Publishing.com shopping bag, and therefore you will not be able to place an order with us online. Also, by not using cookies, some Enjoy Reading Publishing website features and services may not function properly.
Site Analytics: We work with a third party service provider to help us better understand how you use our Enjoy Reading Publishing.com website. This third party service provider will place cookies on your computer to collect information. The information this third party service provider collects will tell us things like which search engine referred you to our websites, how you navigated around our websites, what you purchased and what traffic is driven by banner ads and emails. This information will help us to better serve you and provide you with more personalized information and product offerings. We do not allow this third party service provider to collect your credit card information, e-mail address or password information. This third party service provider may only use your personal information to perform services for us. This third party service provider is contractually required to maintain all of the information it collects and analyzes for us securely and in confidence. This third party service provider may not share your personal information with anyone else, or use it for any other purpose, except on an aggregate, non-personal basis.
Please note that this third party service provider collects data on our Enjoy Reading Publishing.com website using first-party data collection. As a result, blocking cookies from third-party domains will not block these first-party cookies. As a visitor to Enjoy Reading Publishing.com or Sparknotes.com, you may choose to opt-out of this third party's analysis of your browsing and purchasing behavior on our websites. To opt-out on Enjoy Reading Publishing.com please contact us.
Information collected using pixel tags or clear GIFs
To help us understand the effectiveness of certain of our communications and marketing efforts, we may use "message format" and "message open" sensing technologies that use pixel tags or clear GIFs (which are also called web beacons). These technologies allow us to know if your e-mail program is able to accept HTML e-mails and, if it is, to: (1) send you e-mails in that format; and (2) determine if you have opened our e-mail messages.
Information collected from Enjoy Reading Publishing eReader applications or devices
When you use a Enjoy Reading Publishing eReader application or device (collectively, "Device[s]"), we automatically collect information that the Device sends to Enjoy Reading Publishing when it is connected to the Internet. For example, we may receive and collect information concerning Device registration, Device settings, usage, firmware version, search queries, downloads, sideloaded content, and Device configuration. In addition, when Devices connect to wireless networks operated by Enjoy Reading Publishing (e.g., within Enjoy Reading Publishing locations) we may collect information concerning the location of the connection.
Information collected from outside sources
We may periodically collect personal information and other information about you from business partners, contractors and other third parties. This includes, but is not limited to, instances in which you affirmatively authorize third parties to provide us with information.
Information collected from visitors from outside the United States
If you are visiting Enjoy Reading Publishing from outside the United States and provide us with personal information, please note that your personal information will be transferred, stored and processed within the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By doing business or interacting with Enjoy Reading Publishing, you are consenting to the transfer of your personal information to facilities located in the United States and other facility locations selected by Enjoy Reading Publishing.
4. How do we use personal information?
Enjoy Reading Publishing uses your personal information to provide you with a superior customer experience at our website and, as necessary, to administer our business. For example, we use your personal information to:
- Provide you with products and services and information, including the Enjoy Reading Publishing website and online interactive communities, Digital Content and software, and display associated content and advertising;
- Provide superior customer service;
- Conduct research and perform analysis in order to measure, maintain, protect, develop and improve our products and services;
- Communicate with you about special offers, events, or new products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize and enhance our websites and advertising;
- Make communications necessary to notify you regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues;
- Manage our business.
5. With whom do we share personal information?
Protecting the privacy and security of your personal information is a priority at Enjoy Reading Publishing. ENJOY READING PUBLISHING DOES NOT SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES.
Enjoy Reading Publishing shares your personal information with:
- Other entities owned by Enjoy Reading Publishing, Inc., including subsidiaries of Enjoy Reading Publishing, Inc. Many of our customers purchase items from us online. We share your personal information within the Enjoy Reading Publishing, Inc. enterprise to help to ensure that you have a superior shopping or browsing experience no matter where you choose to shop or browse with us.
- Service providers, subcontractors and agents who perform services on our behalf. We provide personal information to third party service providers, subcontractors, and agents that work under contract on our behalf to provide certain services. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Enjoy Reading Publishing. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Third party providers of products and services. These are third parties that provide products and services you may purchase or request from or through us. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Enjoy Reading Publishing. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Credit Card Companies. Credit card transactions are handled by third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors who receive credit card numbers and other personal information from us to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions.
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law. Enjoy Reading Publishing may release personal information to third parties when we determine, in our judgment, that it is necessary to (a) comply with the law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements; or (c) protect the rights, property or safety of Enjoy Reading Publishing, our employees, our customers, users, or others.
- To Fulfill Your Requests For Products or Services
In connection with some magazine or newspaper subscriptions and single issue purchases of magazines or newspapers placed on Enjoy Reading Publishing.com, in order to complete your transaction, we may need to forward your name, magazine or newspaper order, email address, and shipping or billing address to our content providers. The content providers will share your magazine or newspaper order information as well as your name and address, or name and e-mail and shipping or billing addresses with the magazine or newspaper publisher and magazine or newspaper circulation auditors. Magazine and newspaper publishers may use this information to fulfill your order and for other purposes. Your credit card information will not be shared with them.
6. How do we secure personal information?
We take significant and appropriate security measures, including physical, technological and procedural measures, to help to safeguard your personal information and to prevent unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use industry-standard technology, such as firewalls and encryption in the transmission of certain sensitive personal information, designed to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information, and, as technology develops, we intend to take additional measures to improve security.
We want you to feel confident whenever you visit us in our stores, on our websites or otherwise. While we are focused on the security of your personal information and follow strict standards, processes and procedures that are designed to protect your personal information, we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information will remain secure in all circumstances.
7. How do we respect your choices about your personal information?
When you interact with Enjoy Reading Publishing in certain ways, you may be eligible to receive certain marketing-related and promotional communications as well as special offers (collectively "Promotional Communications") from Enjoy Reading Publishing that may include advertisements from third parties. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or download or placing an order
- Creating an online account
- Joining the Enjoy Reading Publishing online community
- Signing up with eBookstores operated by Enjoy Reading Publishing
If, at any time, you wish to no longer receive Promotional Communications from Enjoy Reading Publishing or Enjoy Reading Publishing.com, please follow the instructions below.
- For Enjoy Reading Publishing: At any time, a customer may choose to opt-out of the receipt of any promotional communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each e-mail and following the instructions, or by e-mailing our Customer Service Department.
- For Enjoy Reading Publishing.com: Any account holder can opt-out of the receipt of any promotional communications by logging onto their account and following the instructions under "Communication Preferences". If you do not have a Enjoy Reading Publishing.com account, you may opt-out of the receipt of such communications by e-mailing our Customer Service Department.
Even if you opt-out of receiving Promotional Communications, you may continue to receive e-mails relating to order confirmations, back order notifications, membership information, and/or other business-related communications. Although the primary purpose of these emails is not to provide you with promotional material, they may contain within them some promotional material.
Note for Community Users
Enjoy Reading Publishing provides you with the ability to access, correct or change the personal information in your community profile(s) at any time. However, you cannot currently change your profile name although you may re-register and choose a new name. Please be advised that Enjoy Reading Publishing may archive information it collects on its community and visitors. Additionally, by participating in the Enjoy Reading Publishing.com online interactive community, and using Enjoy Reading Publishing.com's various interactive offerings, including, the submission of customer reviews, you agree to receive communications from Enjoy Reading Publishing, other users, and moderators related to the provision of these services.
8. Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
Enjoy Reading Publishing does not knowingly collect personal information from children
Our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by adults or with the consent of adults. Individuals under the age of 18 ("Minors") are not permitted to use Enjoy Reading Publishing websites without the supervision of a parent or legal guardian. Furthermore, we do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for an online account or to post personal information on our websites. Should we learn that someone under the age of 13 has provided any personal information to or on any of the Enjoy Reading Publishing websites, we will remove that information as soon as possible.
Third Party Websites and Web-Tracking